Thursday, December 31, 2009

November 23rd: Double the Fun

The 1st is and e-mail from Ben and the second one is a letter.

Reply-I pod's Are Not Allowed, I GOT THE PACKAGE TODAY!!!!!!Gracias!!!!!Everything was there. Weekly Cravings-Shish Kabobs, Gorditas, Reese's Pieces, Chicken Tertazinni Need-Breathe Right Strips Weekly Memory-De La Rosa is a candy we see in the tienda's and I remember I think when we went to whistler when I was a kid I had it. MY Companion Has a cat named Gohan. Start planning for the Christmas call. SO our converts are named Irma and Carmen I am going to ask them to write and send their conversion stories to you and then I would love you to write them. I got all your letters today. I love you all so much. Be safe and go forward with faith. I'll include some scriptures in my card. I love you Your Eternal Son and Brother- Elder Benjamin D. Baria Recent Convert Experience-Martin the recent convert of only four months baptized the first person of his whole life. He taught his neighbor, set the date, and baptized her. He is amazing, and he taught our recent convert Irma. Second Baptism-Carmen called the police, four cars came and kicked Jose out of the home. She then decided to be baptized and our recent convert Irma (next door neighbor) told her to go for it and kept bearing a testimony of the change in her life. Saturday we baptized Carmen. Jose came to the baptism and now wants to be baptized. When she came out of the water, she looked at me and her whole disposition was different. When we got to church the bishop told us to do the confirmations, I learned the prayer in five minutes and then confirmed Carmen, telling someone to receive the Holy Ghost was a intense experience. Words can't describe any of these experiences.
_________________________

Alas, I only have 10 minutes to write. I am going to include both the journal entries of the baptism and confirmation. The weeks keep rolling a long and time quickly becomes a habit (if that makes sense).
Health is good. Testimony is 50X bigger. We baptized and confirmed 3 people. Spanish is 80% most of the time. I should be here until December or Jan. The water is not OK. We drink from purified water jugs. Curfew is 10:30. The members are awesome. The Bishop is 26, newlywed, future father, has a job and school. Hermana Felicitas is the world’s best fellowshipper. Jared told me he has had 4 baptisms (that is a month here – generally more towards ten). The food is awesome.
I am growing. I love the newsletter idea and next week I will spend two hours writing to just you all. We hitch rides everywhere we go. I have to go now. I feel bad for not being able to write more. I know you all want me to. I love you and you’re always in my prayers.
Your eternal son and brother,
Elder Benjamin D. Baria.
He also included the new Mexican wide missionary plan from the area presidency. But it’s all in Spanish so you’ll have to hear about that from someone who reads Spanish better than I do. It’s three pages. I think it’s something along the lines of inviting everyone to the temple. Inviting everyone to read the Book of Mormon. Seeking the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Acting on the testimony of the Savior, especially during the holiday season. Inviting people to come to church. Inviting people to be baptized. (there’s a lot more than that, but that’s the flavor).
He also sent a Sacrament meeting program. It looks just like a program here. Even in the announcements there is a reminder to please be reverent in the chapel (that one is underlined). It does have a place to take notes on the back. Also a note to “recuerde apagar su cellular?”
That one we should probably include on ours! And a fun little note that says, “Gracias por su puntualidad”. Maybe Mexican Mormon time is even later than regular Mormon time.

No comments:

Post a Comment